Studying in Germany

Do you want to study in Germany or finish your University degree? Looking for a scholarship or a C1 language course? It’s not easy to access information on how to accomplish all of this – we’re trying to help by collecting information and keeping it up to date.


List of NRW universities, language courses and contact persons

Here’s a list of all the contact persons in universities around – you can ask them for consultation and about specific language courses at university:


Ruhr Uni Bochum

You can find initiatives for refugees at the Ruhr University in Bochum here:

English version: 

You can find information about volunteer work at the Ruhr University here:…/ehrenamtliches_engagement.h…


Scholarships and funding

Funding for preparatory language courses (C1):
Garantiefonds Hochschulbildung und Koordinierungsstelle Bildungsberatung GF-H

Refugees who didn’t know how to fund the needed C1 language course: I just talked to a gentleman from the Coordination Office for Education Consulting GF-H (GF-H stands for guarantee funds for higher education) and got to know that refugees who require a preliminary C1/DSH language course to enter university can apply for a „small“ scholarship/reimbursement. Applicants must be younger than 30 years old, able to take up studies, taking part in or planning to complete a B1 course and pass a grammar test (testing your understanding of German times, verbs, nouns, cases – you need to get 35 of 45 possible points) to apply for the scholarship/financial support that includes the language course fee.

You have to apply as early as possible, even if you aren’t officially accepted as a refugee yet but have good chances to be accepted and/or you haven’t started or finished your B1 course yet because the application has to be made no later than 2 years after entering Germany or 1 year after you got the acceptance as a refugee (it is sufficient to apply, the date of application is what counts).

Then there’s a consultation, nationwide at 21 locations, they also have mobile advisory teams. For us in Castrop two contact persons are responsible, they’re located in Essen.

Arabic flyer:…/Flyer_Foerderung_arabi…

English flyer:…/Flyer_Foerderung_en.pdf

Apply online:

Garantiefonds Hochschule Arabisch

Auf Deutsch:

Flüchtlinge, die für die Aufnahme eines Studiums einen vorbereitenden C1-DSH-Sprachkurs benötigen, können sich hier um Kostenübernahme/ein „kleines“ Stipendium bewerben.

Bewerber müssen unter 30 Jahren alt sein, ein Studium aufnehmen können und wollen, einen B1-Kurs absolviert haben und einen Test bestehen, bei dem es vor allem um Grammatik geht, um in die Möglichkeit der Förderung zu kommen.

Man muss sich möglichst früh bewerben, auch wenn man noch nicht anerkannt ist und/oder den B1-Kurs noch nicht fertig hat, denn die Bewerbung muss spätestens 2 Jahre nach Einreise oder 1 Jahr nach Anerkennung erfolgt sein (es reicht, sich zu bewerben, der Bewerbungseingang zählt).

Es gibt eine Beratung, bundesweit an 21 Orten, aber auch mobile Beratungsteams. Für uns in Castrop sind zwei Ansprechpartner in Essen zuständig.

Online anmelden:



The Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst is an institution dedicated to international scholarship: DAAD website

They have a database where you can search for scholarships that might be suitable for you.


Stiftungen is a page listing many institutions offering support and scholarships for refugees.


Kiron University gives information about how to obtain funding.

Studying in the Ruhr area


Advisor contacts for refugees at NRW colleges and universities

Here’s a map of universities and contact persons for refugees in Nordrhein-Westfalen. 


Refugees at the University in Bochum (RUB)

The Ruhr University in Bochum (RUB) is offering courses for refugees as guest students/visiting students.

Danuta Popanda
Tel: 0234/79-22332

International office of the RUB


Refugees at the University in Dortmund (TU)

The University in Dortmund offers open courses and allows refugees as guest students/visiting students. This can be useful if you want to study here but still need time to finish your German language course.

„TU Dortmund University kindly invites refugees to take part in a variety of public events in the city centre as well as on the campus.

Find out about interesting topics, improve your German languages skills, discover new places and get to know new people in Dortmund. You can find an overview about the courses that are offered here.“ On this website, you also find contact addresses.

Contact: Ute Zimmermann or Nadine Finke-Scheel


Refugees at the Fachhochschule Dortmund
– University for Applied Sciences and Arts (FH DO)



An overview of information for refugees:

The displaced people taking part in the German language courses are allowed to become students at the Fachhochschule Dortmund. The University covers the costs for the semester fee including the NRW ticket. (…) “

-> More on page 3 of fhpresse:…/m…/fhpresse/fh-presse-6-2015.pdf

Write an e-mail to if you are a prospective refugee student and have questions about the access to the studies at the Fachhochschule Dortmund.

Here’s the website of the Fachhochschule Dortmund (University of Applied Sciences and Arts) in English:


Die geflüchteten Menschen dürfen sich als Deutschkursteilnehmer an der Fachhochschule Dortmund einschreiben. Die Hochschule übernimmt für sie die Semestergebühr inklusive NRW-Ticket.

-> mehr auf Seite 3 der fhpresse:…/m…/fhpresse/fh-presse-6-2015.pdf

Unter der Adresse erhalten studieninteressierte Flüchtlinge Antworten auf ihre Fragen rund um den Zugang zum Studium an der Fachhochschule Dortmund.


AKAFÖ International Affairs Department in Bochum

In addition to the advice centres of the AKAFÖ International Affairs Department, there are many other advice centres in Bochum.

We will be pleased to support you in such queries as: „Where can I find accommodation? “, „Where can I find an insurance? “, „How much money do I need to survive? “, „Am I allowed to work while studying? “ and many other.

Find more information and addresses here: AKAFÖ (Akademisches Förderungswerk)

Studying online or „from afar“

If you want to study online or use distance learning method to get a degree, there are ways to do that. Find out more about:

Kiron University (based in Berlin, founded especially for refugees)

FernUniversität Hagen (Hagen is close to Dortmund)

General information

Ministry of Science NRW

„The Education and Science Ministry and NRW colleges and universities support refugees who want to study in North Rhine-Westphalia. This website will help you find the information you need. In addition to general information, it includes the phone numbers and addresses of the responsible advisors at the colleges and universities.“

It’s available in German, English, French and Arabic.



The BAMF gives general information on studying in Germany as a foreigner or refugee:

You find a collection of useful websites and addresses here.



EURAXESS provides information for refugees who wish to study in Germany. This project is supported by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research and covers fields like

but also topics like taxation, accomodation and daily life.


Universities accepting refugees

Here’s a map showing the universities where refugees can study as guests or as students in October 2015.

Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences


Preparing and applying


Welcome to uni-assist, the University Application Service for International Students, here.


Preparatory courses etc.

Free German Classes held by trained volunteers by Ruhr-Universität Bochum

The Ruhr-Universität Bochum (RUB) welcomes refugees in Germany and wants to support their start in Bochum.

The language is the key to an optimal integration and a possible academic career. At the moment, language courses are difficult to find and to finance.

Therefore, the RUB department „Deutsch als Fremdsprache“ (DaF – German as a foreign language) conducted workshops called „teach the teacher“ this autumn for volunteers interested in teaching the German language.

The International Office wants to support this know-how offering rooms and materials in cooperation with DaF in order to provide free German language courses to refugees with an academic background from Bochum and the surrounding area.
The German language courses are intended to start in January 2016 and be given twice a week by volunteers.
Find more information and apply here:

of the Ecumenical Study Institute in Bochum for Foreign Students, state approved

Girondelle 80, D-44799 Bochum

Telefon: 0234 938 82 31
Telefax: 0234 938 82 60


German language courses to students offered by interculturas e. V.

„Working together with AStA, the students’ representative body at the Ruhr University of Bochum, we offer German language courses to students from all over the world wishing to enrol or continue their studies at a German university.“
Find more information here: interculturas e. V.

Studienkolleg in Germany

A Studienkolleg prepares young adults with an international school leaving certificate for a course of studies at a German college or university. If you have acquired a school leaving certificate which qualifies you to study in your home country, but which is not recognised as a higher education entrance qualification in Germany, you will need to attend a Studienkolleg before starting your studies. Because the school system, the contents of your education or the length of time you attend school are so different than in Germany, it is necessary for you to attend preparation courses at a Studienkolleg. Compare the following:

The Studienkolleg model
International students come from different cultures and bring along different biographies of learning. At a Studienkolleg they come together to work out the professional and cultural requirements for a successful course of studies in Germany. In this way the Studienkolleg functions as a bridge between the educational system at home and the German academic culture. The Studienkolleg organises and promotes the learning processes needed for a successful course of studies.

Find our more about the specialised types of Studienkolleg courses and a list of Studienkollegs in Germany.


Federal regulations

Education is a topic where the federal states are in charge so regulations can vary from state to state.

Here you find information on the different approaches to Studying in Germany for refugees in every state.


Translate »